Medical Wigs/ Cranial Prosthesis
Consultation is required!!!
A cranial prosthesis is a wig for medical patients who have permanent hair loss (such as alopecia areata, alopecia totalis, trichotillomania), or temporary hair loss resulting from treatment for chemotherapy, certain medications, radiation, or any other clinical disease.
For medical hair loss, you may obtain payment for the full cranial prosthesis. Depending on your policy, some insurance companies will require you to pay upfront and then be reimbursed, others will pay for your prosthesis upfront
Most Types of Medical Hair Loss Covered By Insurance
- Alopecia Hair Loss
- Chemotherapy Related Hair Loss
- Radiation Related Hair Loss
- Thyroid Related Hair Loss
- Kidney Related Hair Loss
- Cancer Related Hair Loss
- Medical Hair Loss Due to Genetics, Stress, Reaction to Medical Illness, Life and Environmental Changes, Aging, Thinning, and/or Balding
The Process (Client):
Contact your Health Insurance Provider's Benefits Services and ask:
- If your policy covers a cranial prosthesis
- If yes, what type of cranial prosthesis is covered (i.e. synthetic wigs, human hair wigs, etc.)
- How much of the cost will they cover
- What specific terminology they need to have on the prescription for a wig
- What specific documentation they need to submit your claim.
- Request and obtain a prescription for a “cranial prosthesis” (or the specific terminology required by you Health Insurance Provider) from your doctor or physician including the medical procedure code A9282. Make sure the prescription does not say “wig.” A wig is a fashion item and is therefore not medically necessary. Your prescription will include a procedure number/code for your cranial prosthesis that will be used to submit your insurance claim.
- Add an extra touch: Ask your physician to also write a letter explaining hair loss and its effects and have her/him state that it is not simply for cosmetic reasons but for emotional well being.
- Keep copies of all of your documentation and invoices from your physician for tax exemption purposes. You will need to speak with your tax advisor first about medical bills and tax deductible opportunities.
- If you are planning on paying upfront or out of pocket initially, place your order online at https://www.trsbymel.com/ or over the phone at 203-710-9880 for an invoice to be sent.
- Once you place your order with Trsbymel.com, email email@example.com with your order number and say that you need a copy of your invoice for your cranial prosthesis prescription.
- We will provide you with a copy of your invoice with a notation on the bottom that states Cranial Prosthesis and Trsbymel's Tax ID number.
- Send all documentation (your doctor’s prescription, copy of your invoice from Trsbymel.com, completed insurance claim form, and any other necessary forms) to your Health Insurance Provider.
Pricing starts at $600 and is dependent on length, styling, texture and color
Final Sale Item. No Return or Refunds